Are you a volunteer in an organization? If yes, I salute you for that. What you are doing right now is a great public service because numerous people often think that volunteering on such organizations with a mission to help others is a waste of time. But you, here you are looking for ways to […]
Are you a volunteer in an organization? If yes, I salute you for that. What you are doing right now is a great public service because numerous people often think that volunteering on such organizations with a mission to help others is a waste of time. But you, here you are looking for ways to raise money for your good intentions.
Let me help you with that. If you want an event that will attract the crowd, why not organize a charity poker event? First, many people love playing poker and last, its proven effective by many volunteers like you. The best thing about this event is that you have options.
You can organize a tournament or cash game session and you can make it an invitational event or open it to the public for more participants. But, that my friend depends on your available tables and on the venue.
Before we go on, let us tackle the difference between tournaments and cash games.
When it comes to a poker tournament, it is best if you’ll plan the event ahead of time to ensure that the event will run the way you want it. With all the participants sitting down, it is wise if you can speak to them and talk about the night beneficiaries.
Tips for this type of poker charity event:
- Assign an area where the participants can pay their entry fee and table assignments.
- Remember to ask your co-volunteers to assist 1 table each for the setup, general management and for cleanup.
- As you set things up, make sure to double check the chip stacks before all the players have sat down.
- Make sure to prepare both a blind structure and a prize structure in advance. Make use of a projector for the tournament information.
This option is said to be a lot simpler as each hand is raked with a pre-defined percentage of the pot. The monies collected will be gathered together at the end of the event to be donated to charity. The best thing about this event is that it only requires less micromanagement as the evening goes by.
Tips for this type of poker games:
- Make sure that they are 2 decks of cards on each table and make sure that your co-volunteers are ready to deal and shuffle.
- Assign someone to collect the money on each table to make sure that he is trustworthy.
- Make sure to set-up some rules for both minimum and maximum buy-ins.
What are you waiting for? Choose the kind of event you want to organize and from there, be surprised on the huge amount your event can raise.